Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Make America Great Again

...
You can tell he's stupid because his lips are moving
This is, as you surely are aware, Donald Trump's campaign slogan. It always strikes me in a number of ways as being kind of tone deaf and off-putting. First of all, why aren't all the other Republican 'American Exceptionalism' candidates shrieking that America is the greatest country in the universe, and Donald is saying we're NOT great? I suspect because even they don't want to claim an America lead by that noted Marxist/Kenyan/Nazi Barack Hussein Obama could possibly be great, even if it America, which is always great. Or something.

But what is that Trump is saying? What would make America great again? Why, it's about growth, and business, and trade, and making good deals, and creating jobs, and building infrastructure - Walls, lots and lots of WALLS - and deportations, and military power, and threatening adversaries, and threatening allies, and all the other things you'd expect when you combine entitlement, bluster and ignorance.

Now, ask yourself: What do all these things have in common? Money. They all cost money. Trump is essentially talking about undertaking a series of large-scale investments, to the tune of several trillion dollars over two terms. Plus, he's now proposing very large deficit financed tax cuts. Of course, he just waves that off - he's too SMART to have investments cost money - but we know that's just because he's a.) too lazy to actually do any research and b.) dishonest enough to be willing to promise everyone a free pony.  This at the same time he's claiming to be a great businessman, and he can't even speak to the value of good investments because of the Republican government spending obsession.

But there's the key trade-off in modern American politics. What will government do, and what will legislators fund? We're making a series of desperately poor decisions now, around how to fund the Highways and choosing NOT to fund infrastructure and R&D/Big Science projects. The refusal of the institutional Republican party to allocate any resources while everything just gets older and we fall farther behind is the most frustrating thing to watch I can imagine.

So here comes The Donald, saying no, no, we CAN do all these things, we just don't need to actually PAY for them. Donald Trump will not be the President of the United States, but people would do well to think about what he's saying - not the self-aggrandizing nonsense, but the part about how we need to invest in our own future, and we need to start NOW.
...

3 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of Trump's campaign as "Springtime for Hitler". It's objectionable in every way a person trained in political truisms can think of as if it was designed to be, and is, so far, a shocking success. His tax plan I've dubbed "Say Anything"--one conservative tax group came up with an additional 12 Trillion added to the deficit over ten years with this crazy scheme. When I hear "Make America Great Again", all I hear is "Make America White Again"--and he's not really making a big secret out of that being what it means. (And that is how so many Americans forget to take exception with his lack of American exceptionalism--they like America "except for" a lot of other people, too.)

    I plug the reality of climate change a lot on my blog--we need infrastructure changes because "if" has totally become a matter of "when" where big scale weather events that can super fuck our shit up are concerned. (The idea that Hurricane Joachin could be a Superstorm Sandy hitting the Washington DC area should make us worry.)Trump can talk infrastructure, but he's in Lala-land where our real dangers are concerned.

    I still have trouble regarding him as a real candidate. But he only really bothers people who pay attention. That isn't enough people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vixen, couldn't agree more. I was commenting on another blog about how illegal immigration may be affecting border states in a negative way. I get that, but I live in southeastern Virginia, I have a college degree and a good job that I will never fight with an illegal immigrant over. I was a good little girl and did all the things I was told to do and guess what I am living the American dream. I am not effected by illegal immigration. I am effected by rising water. I live in an area that was affected by the Superstorm and Hurricane J this past summer. If that Hurricane had hit that would effect me economically. The coastal areas around the Chesapeake Bay are sinking at the same time the sea is rising and it's only a matter of time. Bottom line to me...if these states want me to give a hoot about their issues they best start paying attention to mine or no dice.

      Delete
    2. Vixen, couldn't agree more. I was commenting on another blog about how illegal immigration may be affecting border states in a negative way. I get that, but I live in southeastern Virginia, I have a college degree and a good job that I will never fight with an illegal immigrant over. I was a good little girl and did all the things I was told to do and guess what I am living the American dream. I am not effected by illegal immigration. I am effected by rising water. I live in an area that was affected by the Superstorm and Hurricane J this past summer. If that Hurricane had hit that would effect me economically. The coastal areas around the Chesapeake Bay are sinking at the same time the sea is rising and it's only a matter of time. Bottom line to me...if these states want me to give a hoot about their issues they best start paying attention to mine or no dice.

      Delete